Dr. Christopher Matthews is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who is fellowship-trained in hand and upper extremity surgery. He specializes in treatment of all conditions involving the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hands, in both adults and children.
Dr. Matthews is trained in arthroscopy, minimally invasive surgical approaches, and microvascular surgery. He has particular interest in arthritis surgery of the hand and wrist, shoulder surgery, peripheral nerve surgery, and trauma of the upper extremity. He also believes in a personal approach to care and prioritizes taking the time to understand a patient’s individual concerns, provide education on treatment options, and develop a collaborative plan of care.
He grew up in Tarpon Springs, FL and was awarded the John V. Lombardi scholarship to attend the University of Florida. Prior to attending medical school, he participated in the highly selective Junior Honors Medical Program.
Dr. Matthews received his medical degree from the University of Florida, where he led medical outreach trips to the Yucatán peninsula of Mexico and where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
After receiving his M.D., he completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency at the University of Florida, where he was elected administrative chief resident. After residency, he completed his fellowship training in hand, upper extremity, and microvascular surgery at the Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center, one of the most prestigious fellowships in the country.
He has published clinical and basic science research papers, as well as presented his work at national and international meetings. He has also served as a reviewer for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Orthopedic Video Theater, and he has been recognized as an Emerging Leader by the American Orthopaedic Association.
As a surgeon at The Orthopedic Clinic, Dr. Matthews sees patients at the following locations: Daytona Beach, Palm Coast, and Port Orange.
In his personal life, he enjoys spending time with his family, fishing, boating, golf, and traveling.
- Shoulder: Shoulder replacement, including total and reverse shoulder arthroplasty, arthroscopic shoulder surgery, and rotator cuff repair.
- Elbow: Cubital tunnel release, total elbow arthroplasty, biceps tendon repair, surgery for tennis elbow, ligament reconstruction, and arthroscopy.
- Wrist: Complex fractures of the wrist, surgery for arthritis, cyst excision, arthroscopy, ligament repair, and reconstruction.
- Hand: Carpal tunnel release, trigger finger release, base of thumb arthritis surgery; sports related injuries, including ligament tears, finger dislocations and sprains, Dupuytren’s contracture release, nerve and tendon repair, and microsurgery.
- Trauma: Management of fractures involving the upper and lower extremities in adults and children.